A common snack in Kerala, the egg puff is one of several “puff” type popover with spicy fillings.
It is a small pie consisting of spicy filling with veggies and egg in a deep-fried or baked pastry shell. The filling is quite thick to prevent it from oozing out of the snack.
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking time : 20 mins
Makes: 10 nos.
- Boiled eggs: 5
- Onions: 3 vertically chopped
- Ginger garlic paste: 2 tsp
- Refined flour: 1 bowl
- Wheat flour: 3 tbsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder: 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder: 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder: 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder: 1 tbsp
- Salt: for taste
- Tomato ketchup: 1 tbsp
- Oil : for deep frying
- Hard boil eggs , remove the shell and cut it into halves and keep aside.
- For puff covering, knead together refined flour/ maida , wheat flour salt and water.keep it for 5 minutes.
- Roll it into big round size, cut the edges and make it into a square shape sheet.
- Fold all four corners into the centre as shown below.
- Now to make filling; heat oil in a wok, add onions and saute for 3 to 4 min till it becomes golden brown. Add salt and mix.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute well.
- Now add all the dry spice powders, tomato ketchup and little water so that the spices blend well.
- For the puff , add 1 spoon filling in the centre of rolled puff sheet and place a piece of egg and close it from all sides.
- Deep fry it and serve with tomato ketchup.
- Readymade puff sheets can be used.
- You can bake it if you are health consious and dont want deep fry.