Lemon pickle is a traditional condiment used with Indian food. In Ayurveda, lemon pickle is a home remedy for stomach disorders and its value is said to increase as it matures. Here I have used vadukapuli naranga / wild lemon which is commonly pickle during Onam.
Preparation time : 15 mins
Cooking time : 15 mins
- Vadukapuli Naranga/ Wild lemon: 1 medium sized
- Ginger: a small piece juliened
- Garlic: 6 to 7 juliened
- Green chillies : 2 to 3 chopped
- Asoefetida: 1small piece
- Red chilli powder: 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tbsp
- Salt: for taste
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Curry leaves: few
- Fenugreek powder: a pinch
- Jaggery: a small piece
- Peel off the skin of lemon partially, while buying lemon you should not buy the lemon with thicker skin.
- Chop into small pieces, remove seeds and add it into a bowl along with little salt and turmeric powder.
- Keep it for 15 mins.
- Now in a vessel boil 2 small cups of water with asoefitida, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and a pinch salt.
- Let it boil and reduce into half.
- In another wok, heat oil.
- Add mustard seeds and curry leaves, let it splutter.
- Now add ginger , garlic and green chillies, saute for a minute.
- Add the lemon pieces to this and mix well.
- Saute for 2 to 3 mins.
- Now put this lemon mixture into the previous vessel with boiling water and mix .
- Add a pinch of fenugreek powder and a small piece of jaggery.
- Now cook for almost 10 mins and turn off the flame.
- Let it cool in room temperatue and later you can store it in air tight container