A very popular snack made during diwali preparation. Diwali faral is incomplete without this chivda. It is made with corn as well as flattened rice flakes. Usually it is made in large quantities and stored in an air tight container.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- Poha / flattened rice: 3 to 4 cups
- Peanuts: 1 cup
- Chana dal: 3 tbsp
- Dried coconut slices: 1/4 cup
- Green chillies: 1 or 2 finely chopped
- Cashews: 1/2 cup
- Raisins: 1/4 cup
- Curry leaves: 1 sprig
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Salt: 2 to 3 tsp
- Sugar: 2 tbsp
- Fennels seeds: 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Hing powder: 1/4 tsp
- Oil: 3 tbsp
- Dry roast Poha for 3 to 4 mins, it should not turm brown. Keep aside.
- Add 1 tbsp oil in kadai and roast peanuts, chana dal, dried coconut pieces, cashews and raisins one by one and keep aside.
- Again add 1 to 2 tbsp of oil in the kadai.
- Add mustard seeds, let it crackle.
- Add green chillies, hing powder and curry leaves , saute for a minute.
- Add turmeric powder , sugar , fennel seeds and salt. Mix well.
- Now add all the roasted items to this and mix well.
- Let it cool , after it gets cool transfer it to an air tight container.