Kanthari mulagu /birds eye chilli is used in traditional dishes of kerala cuisine. This chutney recepie I have posted is made by grinding all the ingredients in a flat mortar or stone typically known as ‘ ammikallu ‘in kerala.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Serves: 3 to 4
- Grated coconut: 1 cup
- Kanthari mulagu /birds eye chilli: 5 to 6
- Shallots/ pearl onions: 4 to 5
- Tamarind: a small piece
- Chilli powder: 1 tsp
- Salt: for taste
- Grind together all the ingredients in ammikallu into a coarse chutney.
- If you dont have ammikallu , you can grind it in mixer .
- Serve with rice kanji or steamed rice.