Chumanulli also known as pearl onion or shallots is usually used for preparing gravies and chutneys in kerala. I wanted to try a innovative pickle recepie so i chose to make a traditional kerala style pickle using pearl onion and raw black pepper.
We use strands of raw black pepper which is grown in our kitchen garden to make fish gravies, here i have added it i to give perfect spice to my pickle.
You can store this pickle in refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks .
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- Chumanulli / pearl onion: 1/4 kg
- Pachakurumulagu / raw blackpepper : 3 to 4 strands
- Kanthari mulagu / birds eye chilli: 3 to 4 slit
- Garlic cloves : 3 to 4 sliced
- Red chilli powder: 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Tamarind pulp: 1/4 cup
- Jaggery: 1 tbsp grated
- Vinegar: 1 tbsp
- Oil: 1/2 cup (gingelly/ vegetable oil)
For pickle powder:
- Cumin seeds: 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds: 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds: 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Dry red chilli: 2
- Curry leaves: few
- Urad dal : 1 tsp
- Hing powder: 1/2 tsp
- Dry roast cumin seeds, mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Grind it into fine powder and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add chumanulli/ pearl onions and fry for 2 to 3 mins till it changes colour.
- Switch off the flame and remove onions from oil.
- Keep few onions aside and grind the remaining onions into fine paste.
- Switch on the flame and to the same oil add mustard seeds, dry red chilli, curry leaves, garlic , kanthari mulgau , urad dal and hing powder.
- Fry for a minute.
- Now add the ground onion paste , crushed green pepper (pachakurumulagu )and the whole onions kept asidse into kadhai. Cook for 5 mins. Keep stirring.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
- Now add pickle powder,tamarind pulp, jaggery and vinegar and mix.
- Cook on low flame for another 5 to 6 minutes.
- Let it cool and store in an air tight container.