In kerala , seafoods are prepared in various styles . Talking about prawns it is made using coconut, without coconut, tamarind based, roasted prawns and so on. This recepie is a spicy version made using red chilli powder and kerala tamarind to give it a tangy taste. This tastes better if you keep for hours before serving.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- Prawns : 1/4 kg
- Shallots / pearl onion: 12 to 15 sliced
- Tomato : 1 chopped
- Kudampuli / brindleberry : 2 small
- Ginger : 1 small piece juliened
- Garlic : 1 tsp sliced
- Curry leaves : few
- Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
- Kashmiri chilli powder: 1 tbsp
- Pepper powder: 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek powder : 1/4 tsp
- Salt: for taste
- Coconut oil: 2 tbsp
- Clean prawns and keep aside.soak kudampuli in little water.
- Heat oil in a kadai or earthern vessel ( cooking in earthen vessels adds up more taste ).
- Add ginger , garlic and curry leaves and saute for a minute.
- Add sliced onions and saute till it turns translucent.
- Add all the dry spice powders and mix.
- To this add the soaked kudampuli with 1 cup water.
- Add prawns and sliced tomatoes and season with salt.
- Cover and cook for 10 mins.
- Check for seasoning , switch off the flame.
- Add 1 tsp of coconut oil on top and sprinkle few curry leaves. Keep it covered.
- Tastes best if served after few hours.