Vazhakoombu or banana flower is a delicious and healthy part of the plantain that is usually made into stir fry with grated coconut as base in kerala. You can even add moong dal or lentils along with this to add up more taste.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- Vazhakoombu / Banana flower: 1 medium sized grated
- Fresh grated coconut: 1 cup
- Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Garlic cloves: 3
- Green chillies: 2
- Dry red chillies: 2
- Urad dal : 1tsp
- Curry leaves: few
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder: 1/2 tsp
- Salt: to taste
- Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Coconut oil: 2 tbsp
- Remove the outer layers and wash the banana flower.
- Grate the flower and add 2 tsp oil and mix to remove the stickiness.
- Coarsely grind together fresh grated coconut, green chillies, garlic and cumin seeds. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a wok, add mustard seeds, let it splutter.
- Add urad dal, dry red chillies and curry leaves, toss for few seconds.
- Add the grated banana flower and stir for 1 to 2 mins.
- Add turmeric powder and salt and stir.
- Add the ground coconut mixture and black pepper powder and saute on medium flame for 5 to 10 mins.
- Switch off the flame and serve.