Ragi or finger millet is a very nutritious and healthy food substance. Now a days most of the carbohydrates are substitued with ragi flour or powder.
Idiappam is a traditional food of kerala, usually prepared for breakfast. It is made using roasted rice flour. Here in this recepie I have added Ragi flour along with rice flour in 1:1 proportion. Both the flours are mixed together and made into cotton soft dough by mixing in hot water. And then it is poured into the moulds using Sevanayi (Idiyappam Maker)and steamed till it gets cooked.
Lets checkout the detailed recepie below
Preparation time : 20 mins
Cooking time : 15 mins
- Roasted Rice flour: 1 n 1/2 cups
- Ragi Flour: 1 n 1/2 cups
- Salt: 1/4 tsp
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Fresh grated coconut: 1/2 cup
- Heat 3 n 1/2 cups of water in a vessel. Let it come to boil and switch off the flame.
- Mix together rice flour and ragi flour in a bowl, add salt.
- Now pour 2 cups of hot water to the flour and mix immediately with a spoon.
- Once you start mixing you will know if more water is required or not. If required add some more water little by little.
- The dough should be very soft but non sticky.
- Keep it covered for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile grease the inner surface of Sevanazhi ( Idiyappam Maker) with oil.
- Idiyappam is made in the moulds in which idlis are made.
- Fill the dough into the sevanazhi and rotate and pour the idiyappam into the moulds.
- Initially add a layer at the bottom, then fill little grated coconut at the centre and then again pour a layer on top.
- Now steam these in idli vessel or cooker for 15 mins.
- After its done, remove from the moulds and serve hot with any gravy of your choice.