Sambar Sadam / Sambar Rice /Bisi Bele Bhath is a popular southindian rice recepie. It is a very filling dish as it had rice, dal and lots of veggies.
I had lot of veggies which I had to use it anyhow as I am travelling after two days . So I thought of this recepie which is a perfect blend of all veggies n rice.
For Sambar Sadham ; the veggies used are brinjal, carrots, beans, potato, yellow cucumber, ladys finger, tomatoes, shallots , drumstick. You can use any veggies of your choice accordingly.
The best thing about this recepie is that it can be had as it is or along with pickle and papad. Theres no need to prepare any side dish .
So lets checkout the recepie below 👇
Preparation time : 10 mins
Cooking time : 30 mins
- Rice : 1 n 1/4 cup
- Toor dal : 1 cup
- Carrot: 1 chopped
- Brinjals: 2 chopped
- French Beans : 1/2 cup chopped
- Yellow cucumber: 1 cup chopped
- Shallots: 5 to 6
- Green chillies : 2
- Salt: for taste
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Oil : 1 tbsp
- Asoefitida powder: 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves: 1 tbsp chopped
For Masala :
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Urad dal : 2 tsp
- Chana dal: 2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Coriander seeds: 2 tsp
- Black pepper corns: 2 tsp
- Dry red chilli : 2
- Grated coconut : 1/2 cup
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Ghee: 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves: few
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Dry red chilli: 1
- Cook rice and dal together in pressure cooker with salt and enough water for 5 to 6 whistles.
- Heat oil in a pan, add all the ingredients for masala and roast for 2 mins.
- Remove from flame and blend it into fine masala powder without adding water.
- Heat oil in a kadai , add green chillies, shallots and asoefitida.
- Add turmeric powder and mix.
- Now add all the chopped veggies along with masala powder and mix well.
- Add 2 cups of water and cover and cook for 10 minutes till all the veggies get cooked properly.
- Soak a lemon size tamarind in little water.
- When the veggies get cooked , open the lid and add tamarind pulp anc cooked rice and dal and mix well.
- Add salt if required and cover and cook for another 5 mins.
- Switch off the flame and for tempering , heat a small kadai; add ghee.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds , curry leaves and dry red chilli and toss for few seconds.
- Add this to the sambar sadam and add few chopped coriander leaves.
- Keep it covered for 10 mins before serving.
- Give it a proper mix and serve .
You must log in to post a comment.