Meen Peera is a dry preparation of fish with grated coconut as base specially prepared in Kerala.
It can be prepared using any fish but most commonly small fishes are preferred.
In this recepie I have used Anchovy fish which is commonly known as Netholi or Kozhuva in Kerala.
We can add dried mango slices, chopped drumsticks or raw mango pieces to add up more taste to the recepie.
Let’s checkout the recepie below:
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- Netholi / Anchovy fish: 1/2 kg
- Grated coconut: 1 n 1/4 cup
- Ginger: 1 small piece
- Garlic: 3 to 4 cloves
- Green chillies: 3 to 4 chopped
- Shallots/ pearl onions: 10 to 12 nos
- Kudampuli/ pot tamarind: 2
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli powder: 1 tbsp
- Salt: for taste
- Curry leaves: few strands
- Coconut oil: 4 tbsp
- Wash and clean the fish by adding little salt.
- Clean and keep aside.
- To prepare the coconut mix, coarsely blend ( just pulse it in mixer for 1 or 2 secs) or crush together grated coconut, shallots,ginger,garlic and green chillies.
- In a pot or vessel add fish pieces, pot tamarind/ kudampuli,coconut mix,turmeric powder,red chilli powder,salt,curry leaves,coconut oil and 2 cups of water.
- Cover and cook on medium flame for 5 mins.
- Open the lid and cook for another 15 to 20 mins or till all the water dries up.
- Keep stirring in between but do not over mix.
- Switch off the flame and keep it aside for sometime before serving.