Ivygourd which is commonly known as kovakkai in Kerala is prepared in various ways. Theeyal is a thick gravy based curry made in coconut milk.
In Kerala,coconut based dishes are more popular. Adding grated fresh coconut or coconut milk adds up more taste and these recepie when prepared in coconut oil is like cherry on top of a cake.
Let’s checkout the recepie below
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- Kovakkai : 1/4 kg
- Shallots/ pear onions: 10 chopped
- Ginger: 1 small piece chopped
- Green chillies: 3 slit
- Curry leaves: few
- Coconut milk: 1 1/2 cups
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder: 2 tsp
- Coriander powder: 2 tsp
- Salt: for taste
- Coconut oil: 3 tbsp
- Clean and chop kovakkai into long slender pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add curry leaves , chopped shallots , ginger and green chillies. Toss well for a minute.
- Add chopped kovakkai and saute till it becomes soft and tender.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder,coriander powder and salt and mix well.
- Add coconut milk and mix.
- Boil till the gravy thickens , add water to adjust the consistency if needed.
- Switch off the flame once the gravy becomes thick.
You must log in to post a comment.