Cooking is an art through which one can gain your near ones heart.This is the first time I had prepared Biriyani at my in-laws place in kerala and so I cooked it in authentic way.
Kerala biriyani is special in its own way, be it the madalas used or the way of cooking. Let’s checkout the detailed recipie below :
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
- Chicken : 1 kg
- Biriyani Rice : 4 cups
- Onion: 5 chopped
- Tomatoes: 3 chopped
- Ginger garlic green chilli paste: 3 tbsp
- Turmeric powder: 3/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder: 3 tbsp
- Coriander powder: 2 tbsp
- Fennel seed powder: 1 tsp
- Cumin powder: 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder: 2 tbsp
- Cinnamon stick: 2 small piece
- Green cardamom: 4
- Cloves: 4
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds: 1 tsp
- Poppy seeds: 1 tsp
- Salt: for taste
- Coriander leaves: 1 tbsp
- Ghee : 1 cup
- Coconut oil: 4 tbsp
- Red chilli powder: 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder: 1 tsp
- Yogurt: 2 tbsp
- Salt: for taste
- Onion: 1 finely sliced
- Cashews: 2 to 3 tbsp broken
- Raisins: 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves: 1/2 cup
- Mint leaves:1/2 cup
- Ghee: 1 tbsp
- Marinate chicken with the items listed under ‘ For Marination’ and keep it aside for 15 mins.
- At the same time soak rice in water for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile boil water to cook rice by adding 1 small piece of cinnamon stick, 2 cloves, 2 cardamom and 1 tbsp of ghee.
- Add rice once the water gets boiled. Cook rice till it’s cooked 3/4th. Do not overcook the rice.
- Drain water and keep aside for cooling.
- Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the chicken pieces and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in Biriyani pot or vessel.
- Add cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cinnamon stick,cloves, star anise and poppy seeds. Toss for a minute.
- Add onions with little salt and saute till onions becomes soft.
- Add ginger garlic green chilli paste and saute for 3 to 4 mins till onions turns golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and saute till they turn mushy.
- Add all the dry spice powders mention under for ‘ Biriyani ‘
- Add 2 to 3 cups of water and cook for 2 mins.
- Now add the fried chicken pieces to this and cook till the gravy thickens.
- Once cooked , switch off the flame and remove the chicken gravy into another vessel leaving behind just a small layer of gravy with few chicken pieces.
- Layer rice on top of this.
- Repeat the process by adding chicken gravy and rice layer on top.
- The topmost layer would be of rice.
- For Garnishing fry onions with little salt on high flame till it becomes brown and crisp.
- To the same pan add cashews and raisins and toss till it browns.
- Spread this on top of rice and sprinkle it with coriander and mint leaves and 1 tbsp of ghee.
- Cover the lid and cook on low flame for 5 to 7 mins.
- Switch off the flame and keep it for 5 mins before serving.