Kerala is a land of spices and here you may find recepies made in different styles with varieties of sources. Fish curries are prepared in many such ways.
In this recipie I have followed kottayam style fish curry which is very spicy . I have used Chura Meen / Tunay Fish , any fish of your choice can be used to prepare this recipie.
Lets check out the recepie below
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- Fish : 1/2 kg
- Shallots/ Kunjulli: 10 to 12 chopped
- Ginger: 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Garlic: 1 tbsp sliced
- Green chillies: 2 slit
- Kudampuli/ Pot tamarind : 2 to 3
- Turmeric powder: 3/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder: 2 tbsp
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder: 2 tbsp
- Coriander powder: 1 1/2 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds: 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Curry leaves: few sprigs
- Salt: as required
- Coconut oil: 5 tbsp
- Wash and clean fish in tamarind water and keep aside.
- Soak kudampuli in warm water.
- Heat 4tbsp oil in a clay pot / Mann Chatti.
- Add fenugreek seeds and toss, add mustard seeds, let it splutter.
- Add curry leaves, green chillies, ginger and garlic and toss for a minute.
- Now add chopped shallots/ kunjali and saute till it becomes light brown.
- Meanwhile mix together red chilli powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder in a bowl with little water into a thick paste.
- Add this paste to the claypot and mix well on low flame and saute till oil leaves from all the sides.
- Add soaked kudam puli , sufficient water to cover the fish pieces and salt and cover and cook .
- When it starts boiling add the fish pieces and cover and cook for 10 mins.
- Open the lid and cook on medium to high flame to required consistency.
- The gravy tastes delicious when thick .
- Switch off the flame and add 1 tbsp coconut oil and few curry leaves on top and close and keep for sometime before serving.
You must log in to post a comment.