VANGI BHATH | BRINJAL RICE … Southindian Rice recepie prepared by tossing brinjal and rice with vangi bhath powder and tamarind extract.
You can prepare this powder and keep it in air container and use whenever required. It’s very easy to prepare and quick recepie for busy days or lunch boxes.
Checkout the detailed recepie below
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
For Vangi Bhath Powder:
- Chana Dal : 2 tsp
- Urad Dal: 2 tsp
- Dry Coconut : 4 tbsp grated
- Fenugreek seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- DryRed Chillies: 5 to 6
- Cooked Rice: 4 cups
- Brinjal / Eggplant: 1 large chopped
- Onion: 1 large sliced
- Mustard Seeds: 1 tsp
- Urad dal: 1 tsp
- Peanuts: 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves: 2 sprigs
- Tamarind extract: 1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Ghee: 1 tbsp
- Vegetable oil: 4 tbsp
- Dry roast all the ingredients listed under for Vangi Bhath powder till they turn brown. Grind them to fine powder and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds,let it splutter.
- Add Urad dal and peanuts and toss.
- Add onions,curry leaves and enough salt. Saute till onions turn light brown.
- Add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add the chopped eggplant and cover and cook for 10 mins. Keep stirring intermittently.
- Add Vangi Bhath Powder and tamarind extract when the eggplant is cooked and mix well.
- Add cooked rice to the pan and toss well till rice is mixed well with the masala.
- Add a tbsp of ghee on top and give a final mix.