Mathanga Vanpayar Erissery / Pumpkin and Red Cow Peas Curry
#recepieoftheday Being a keralite , Coconut based recepies are always on our top list; this is one such gravy which is cooked with coconut paste and spices in Kerala style and tempered with shallots and grated coconut.
Checkout the detailed recepie below
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- Mathanga/Pumpkin: 2 cups chopped
- Vanpayar/Cow peas : 1 cup
- Coconut: 1 cup + 1 tbsp grated
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Shallots: 4 to 5 chopped
- Green chillies: 2
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Garlic: 3 cloves
- Curry leaves: few sprigs
- Dry red chillies: 2
- Salt: as required
- Coconut oil: 2 tbsp
- Soak cowpeas for 3 to 5 hours.
- Pressure cook pumpkin pieces with little salt and water for 2 whistles.
- In the same cooker add soaked cowpeas , turmeric powder and red chilli powder along with pumpkin and cook for 3 more whistles.
- Let the pressure come down and open the lid.
- Meanwhile grind together grated coconut, cumin seeds, green chillies and garlic cloves with little water into coarse paste.
- Mix this paste with the cooked pumpkin and cowpeas, cook till it starts boiling. Add salt if required.
- Switch off the flame. For tempering, heat coconut oil, add mustard seeds,let it splutter.
- Add shallots ,dry red chillies and grated coconut and toss till it turns brown.
- Finally add curry leaves and pour this tempering over the gravy and mix well.
Keep it covered for sometime before serving.
LIKE| COMMENT | SHARE if you like the recepie.