Meen Pattichathu is a authentic Kerala style fish recepie. In this recepie the fish is cooked in spicy and Tangy gravy and simmered till the gravy thickens.
You can use any variety of fish for this recepie. Here I have used Kawhai fish , cooked in coconut oil and used lots of curry leaves for the flavour .
Let’s checkout the detailed recepie below
Preparation time:10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- Fish pieces: 6 to 8 nos
- Shallots: 10 to 12 chopped
- Ginger garlic: 2 tbsp crushed
- Curry leaves: few sprigs
- Green chillies:2 slit
- Tomato: 1 chopped
- Kudampuli / pot tamarind: 5 pieces
- Kashmiri chilli powder: 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder: 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds: a pinch
- Salt: as required
- Coconut oil: 4 tbsp
- Heat oil in a wok , preferably clay pot.
- Add fenugreek seeds, crushed ginger garlic , green chillies and some curry leaves. Give it a toss.
- Add shallots and sauté till it turns soft.
- Lower the flame and add the spice powders , toss well for 2 to 3 mins.
- Add tomatoes ,cover and cook till tomatoes get soft and mushy.
- Soak the kudampuli / pot tamarind in hot water for 10 mins, add this to the wok.
- Add 2 more cups of hot water with enough salt and cover and cook for 5 mins.
- Add the fish pieces, cover and cook on high flame for 6 to 8 mins.
- Open the lid and simmer for another 10 mins till gravy thickens.
- Finally add some coconut oil and curry leaves on top and switch off the flame.
- Keep it covered for at least an hour before serving.