Hello folks ! I am back again with another authentic recipe from India with a touch of my own twist.
Lately I harvested few baby potatoes from my veggie garden and I couldnt think of anything better than this delicious gravy which goes well with any rotis, rice or bread.
Traditionally this recipe is prepared in mustard oil, since I do not use it , I have substituted it with the regular cooking oil ( Vegetable oil) .This gravy is a mixture of sour and spicy ( a rare combo , isnt it? ), its creamy texture makes the gravy look so rich and classy that you will almost drool seeing it
So lets move on to the detailed recipe below , Do try it and if you try do share your feedback here or in Instagram , you can find me on Instagram at pcn_homechef.
Preparation Time : 20 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
Serves: 3 to 4
- Baby Potatoes: 10 to 12
- Dry red chillies: 6 to 7
- Yoghurt: 1 cup
- Turmeric powder: 1/2tsp
- Asoefitida powder: 1/4 tsp
- Kashmiri Chilli powder: 1 tbsp
- Dry ginger powder: 1 tsp
- Shah jeera: 1 tsp
- Kasoori methi: 1 tsp
- Ghee: 1 tsp
- Milk powder: 1 tbsp
- Salt: for taste
- Vegetable oil: 4 tbsp
- Coriander leaves: few finely chopped
- Coriander seeds: 1 tbsp
- Fennel seeds: 1 tbsp
- Cloves: 4
- Black peppercorns: 1/2 tsp
- Green cardamom: 2
- Soak the dry red chillies in hot water for 10 mins. Grind them into fine paste and set aside.
- Dry roast the ingredients mentioned under ” to grind” till the coriander seeds start to change color. Grind them into fine powder and keep aside.
- Take yoghurt in a bowl,add little water and mix to make it smooth . Add half of the ground masala and the ground red chilli paste and mix well to combine.
- Pressure cook the baby potatoes for 1 whistle. Peel the potatoes, prick over the surfaces with a fork.
- Heat oil to fry the potatoes, deep fry or shallow fry till potatoes turn golden brow . Drain and set aside.
- Heat a skillet,add oil, add shah jeera, let it splutter. Lower the flame and add turmeric powder, ginger powder and asoefitida and mix well.
- Now turn the flame to high and add the yoghurt mix, keep stirring continously till the oil starts releasing from the sides. (This is to avoid the curdling of the yoghurt)
- Now add the remaining masala powder and kashmiri chilli powder , mix well, add salt to taste and cook the gravy on medium flame for 5 mins.
- Add 2 cups of hot water and bring to boil. Now add the baby potatoes and mix. Cook on medium flame for 5 mins and simmer for 7 to 8 mins.
- Add milk powder and ghee( this is to make the gravy more creamy and flavourful) and mix.
- Finally add some kasuri methi and coriander leaves and mix. Keep it covered for 10 mins before serving.