We keralites have got a special attraction towards seafood and sardines being the most favourite. Fried Sardines is our weakness.
Fresh Sardines are marinated with lots of spice powders and condiments and then slow fried in coconut oil sprinkling curry leaves and made it crisp in texture and this makes it more special.
Here, I have described my favourite way of frying sardines. Do check it out and let me know if you try it !
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- Sardines: 6 nos.
- Kashmiri Chilli powder: 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder: 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder: 1/2 tsp
- Ginger: 1 small piece
- Garlic: 10 cloves
- Shallots: 5 nos.
- Green chillies: 2
- Black peppercorns: 1/2tsp
- Curry leaves: few
- Salt: for taste
- Coconut oil: as needed for frying
- Clean the fish pieces and set aside.
- Crush together ginger,garlic,shallots,black peppercorns,green chillies and few curry leaves ; preferably using a mortar and pestle. If not you can just pulse it in a blender.
- Add this to the fish pieces, next make a paste of all the dry spice powders along with salt using little water and marinate the fish pieces with the spice paste and crushed masala.
- Keep it covered for 30 mins.
- Heat oil for frying, I personally prefer cast iron. Add the marinated fish pieces , do not overcrowd the skillet. Sprinkle some curry leaves on top. Slow cook on medium.flame first and when the masala gets cooked on both sides, increase the heat and cook till its crisp.
- Serve it layered with some sliced red onions and curry leaves.