“Palak Paneer” or Spinach and cottage cheese is a popular NorthIndian food,which is a best combination with rice , rotis or Naan.
This is a very easy to make and delicious recipe. The spinach leaves are blanched and pureed with spices and then cooked to get a thick and creamy gravy and panner cubes/ cottage cheese cubes are added.
Lets checkout the detailed recipe below
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- Spinach leaves: 3 cups
- Onion: 1 small finely chopped
- Tomato: 1 small
- Garlic: 2 tsp crushed
- Ginger: 1 tsp crushed
- Green chillies: 3
- Turmeric powder: 1/2tsp
- Cumin powder: 1/2tsp
- Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder: 1 n 1/2 tsp
- Salt: for taste
- Fresh cream: 2 tbsp
- Sugar: a pinch
- Coriander leaves: few finely chopped
- Oil: 2 tbsp
- Heat water in a saucepan with some salt. When the water starts boiling, add the spinach leaves and let it cook for 3 to 4 mins. Remove from hot water and transfer the spinach leaves to a bowl of cold water or iced water. ( this helps in retaining the green color)
- Blend together the blanched spinach leaves, tomato, 1tsp garlic and ginger crushed,green chillies and 1/2 cup water into fine paste.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add 1tsp crushed garlic, add onions and cook till it starts to brown. Add the spinach puree and cook on medium flame till it starts to boil.
- Lower the flame and add the dry spice powders and salt. Mix well and cook for another 5 mins.
- Add a pinch of sugar and fresh cream ( If you do not have fresh cream you can mix 1tbsp milk powder and a tsp of ghee in 1/4 cup of hot milk and add this to the gravy).
- Add the paneer cubes, cover and cook for 2 mins.
- Simmer and finally add coriander leaves and turn off the flame.
- Serve with rotis or rice.