I have come up with a delicious recipe specially for Eggetarians! Egg Mappas is a kerala special curry which is prepared in coconut milk. It is somewhat simar like a stew recipe , just some minute changes with the use of spices and condiments, otherwise in both stew and mappas recipe , we use coconut milk as the base.
You can use the same base recipe to make , chicken or mitton or veg mappas as well. I got this recipe from my Mom, she used to make this and serve with chappatis. This curry goes well with any mains ( Rice, appam, dosa, puttu or any breads).
Lets checkout the detailed recipe below
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- Eggs: 3 to 4
- Red onions: 1 sliced
- Tomatoes: 1/2 chopped
- Green chillies: 2 slit
- Ginger: 1 tsp crushed
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder: 1 tsp
- Fennel seed powder: 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder: a pinch
- Thin coconut milk : 1 n 1/2 cups
- Thick coconut milk: 1/2 cup
- Coriander leaves: few chopped
- Coconut oil: 2 tbsp
- Hard boil eggs, peel of the shell, slice into halves and keep aside.
- Heat a pan, add oil. Add sliced onions and green chillies and saute till the onions are soft.
- Add ginger and saute till the raw smell goes off.
- When the onion starts to brown add tomatoes and cook till its soft and mushy.
- Lower the flame and add turmeric powder, coriander powder and fennel seed powder. Mix well and saute for 2 mins.
- Now add the thin coconut milk and let it come to boil. ( If you are using canned coconut milk , u can milk 1/2 cup coconut milk with 1 cup of hot water and use it as thin coconut milk at this stage.)
- Add eggs and simmer for 5 to 6 mins.
- Finally sprinkle a pinch of garam masala, and some coriander leaves n mix gently.
- Switch off the flame and add thick coconut milk and mix gently.