“Mutton Varattiyathu” or Mutton roast prepared the authentic way. This is how my hubbys mother prepare Mutton, thats why I call it as thrissur special. I have added my own touch to it and thought of sharing the recipe here.
The meat is cooked in coconut milk with whole spices and tossed with the prepared masala till the meat is infused with all the spices and the kitchen is filled with nice aroma.
Lets checkout the detailed recipe below 👇
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour
- Mutton: 1/2kg
- Red onions: 3 large sliced
- Coconut milk: 1 cup
- Bay leaves: 2
- Cloves: 5
- Green cardamom: 3
- Cinnamon stick: 1
- Star anise: 1
- Black pepper powder: 2 tbsp
- Fennel seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Ginger garlic crushed: 2tbsp
- Green chillies: 3 slit
- Curry leaves: few
- Turmeric powder: 3/4 tsp
- Coriander powder: 2 tbsp
- Kashmiri chilli powder: 1tsp
- Meat masala : 1 tbsp
- Coconut slices: 1/2 cup
- Coconut oil: 4 tbsp
- Clean , wash and drain the mutton pieces.
- Pressure cook the mutton with 1tbsp ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder,1tbsp black pepper powder, salt to taste, coconut milk ,bay leaves and the whole spices ( tied in a clean muslin cloth or in a tea infuser kit).
- After 1 whislte , switch off the flame and let the pressure settle down.
- Heat a wok, add coconut oil, add the sliced onions and green chillies and some salt. Saute till onions start to turn brown.
- Add a tbsp of ginger garlic paste and mix well till the raw smell goes off.
- Remove the infused whole spices from the cooked meat and add the cooked meat to the wok and mix well with the onions. Let it cook for 5 mins.
- Lower the flame and add kashmiri chilli powder, coriander powder, meat masala and 2tsp black pepper powder.
- Cook on medium flame stirring intermittently till the gravy thickens.
- When you see the gravy has thickened and the meat is drenched in the spices ( this almost takes 20 to 25 mins), add curry leaves and a tsp of black pepper powder and mix.
- Also add coconut slices tossed in a tsp of coconut oil and a pinch of salt and give it a final toss.
2 thoughts on “Mutton Varattiyath”
That really looks amazing!
Thankyou soo much 🥰
You must log in to post a comment.