Rasam and rice is a common favourite food among SouthIndians specially during cold weather or when you are down with cold and flu , they say having a bowl of rice with hot peppery Rasam makes you feel better.
I have made this Rasam and rice combination into a single dish ,I call it as “RASAM RICE” , easy onepot recipe.
Lets checkout the recipe below
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 30 mins
- Rice: 1cup ( basmati / any white rice)
- Tuvar dal : 1 cup
- Tomatoes: 1 chopped
- Garlic: 5 to 6 cloves
- Coriander seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds: 1tsp
- Black peppercorns: 1tsp
- Black pepper powder: 1tsp
- Curry leaves: few
- Turmeric powder: 1/2tsp
- Asoefitida powder: a pinch
- Tamarind: 1 lemon size
- Rasam powder: 2tsp
- Mustard seeds: 1tsp
- Dry red chillies: 2
- Coriander leaves: few chopped
- Coconut oil: 2tbsp
- Ghee: 1tbsp
- Salt: for taste
- Wash and soak rice and dal for an hour. Also soak tamarind in a cup of warm water.
- Crush together garlic, coriander seeds, cumin seeds,curry leaves and black peppercorns.
- Heat a stockpot, add oil. Add the crushed masala, toss well for 2 mins.
- Lower the flame and add asoefitida powder and turmeric powder.
- Add tomatoes and cook till soft and mushy.
- Add tamarind pulp and cook for 2 mins.
- Add rasam powder and mix and add the soaked rice and dal and mix well.
- Now add 4 cups of hot water and salt and black pepper , the water should be a bit more salty.
- Cover and cook for 20 mins on medium flame ,stirring intermittently .
- When the rice and dal is evenly cooked, switch off the flame.
- Heat a pan for tempering, add ghee, add mustard seeds, let it splutter. Add dry red chillies and chopped coriander leaves and mix. Add this to the cooked rasam rice and mix.
- Serve hot with Papad and pickle.