Aloo Cheese Toast Sandwich or flavoured potatoes and cheese sandwich prepared in Mumbai style is one among the popular street foods in Mumbai. After spending more than 25 years of my life in Mumbai, and migrated to other country , I miss all those street foods which I have enjoyed all my life there.
And being a foodie, I explored the Indian street foods here in NewZealand but I never got the feeling of having these food back home.Now what I do is, just buy the ingredients required and make it all by myself at home and I feel soo happy. Food does connect us with our memories.
This Sandwich can be made with any bread you have got, usually its made using white bread. Here I have used Multigrain bread and still it came out good. I wont say its exactly the street food style recipe but yeah I have tried to recreate this to my best. Do checkout the detailed recipe below and leave your feedback in the comments section.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
- Bread slices: 4
- Potatoes: 2 boiled and mashed
- Red onion: 1 finely chopped
- Coriander leaves: 1tbsp finely chopped
- Red chilli powder: 1/2 tsp
- Chaat masala: 1 tsp
- Green chutney: 2tbsp
- Tamarind and dates chutney: 1 tbsp
- Tomato ketchup: 2tbsp
- Cheddar Cheese: grated as required
- Salt : to taste
- Butter / ghee: for toasting
- Mix together mashed potatoes, onions, coriander leaves, chaat masala, salt ,red chilli powder and dates and tamarind chutney in a bowl. ( You can use store bought green chutney and Tamarind chutney or make it at home).
- Take 2 bread slices, apply a tbsp of green chutney on one side of a bread slice and a tbsp of tomato ketchup on one side of other bread slice. Place enough potato filling on top of the green chutney and layer with lots of grated cheese.
- Cover it with the other slice and repeat the same with the other 2 bread slices.
- Heat a iron tawa or pan, grease it with butter or ghee and place the sandwich on the hot tawa and toast both sides till golden brown.
- Cut and serve the sandwich with green chutney, ketchup and potato chips.