I have always been among the ones who love to explore, research and learn about the traditional recipes. The recipes which were prepared during our ancestral period were all so pure and 100 percent healthy which lacks in todays food. Today I have come up with one such ingredient ,“Horsegram “ or “Muthira” that’s how we call it in Kerala. This is one of the pulses with the richest nutrient content under the pulses category and it was widely used and is still prepared in Kerala homes.
I have adapted many such traditional recipes from my mother-in-law who has a great knowledge in most of the traditional recipes of Kerala. So this recipe courtesy goes completely to her.
Muthira Chammanthi or Horsegram chutney is a best accompaniment with Kanji or Rice gruel or rice. Traditionally this is prepared in “AMMIKALLU” ( It’s a rectangular shaped stone grinder with cylindrical stone pestle). But you can also use the mixer grinder or blender to make it.
Let’s checkout the detailed recipe below and do let me know if you like it.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- Muthira / Horse gram: 1 cup
- Grated coconut: 1 cup
- Shallots: 4 to 5
- Tamarind: one small size
- Dry red chillies: 6 to 7
- Curry leaves: 1 sprig
- Salt: to taste
- Coconut oil: 1 tbsp
- Dry roast the Muthira / Horsegram till you see the colour changing and the skin starts to pop out.
- Remove it from the heat and transfer it to a plate and keep aside.
- In the same pan add coconut oil, add shallots and sauté, let it turn soft.
- When the shallots turn translucent add dry red chillies and toss for few seconds.
- Now add the grated coconut and roast till the coconut starts turning brown.
- When the colour of coconut starts to change add the tamarind and some salt to taste.
- Turn off the heat and transfer this to a bowl and set aside.
- First blend or grind the roasted Muthira / Horsegram into fine powder and then add the coconut mix and grind it together by adding just little water to mix and make a thick chutney.
- Transfer the ground chutney to a bowl, tear the curry leaves with hands and mix this with hands with the chutney and bring them all together into a nice round or oval shape and its ready to serve.
- You can make and store this chutney in refrigerator for up to a week.