“DAL FRY” or Indian style lentils curry is very popular all over the world. In India Dal Curry has many regional recipes, its prepared in different style everywhere. Some make it very spicy and some make the sweeter version as well.
I personally prefer the spicy version which goes well with any rice or rotis ( breads). In this recipe I have used 2 different types of lentils , cooked the lentils with spices and finally tempered with lots of garlic in ghee/ clarified butter .
Let’s checkout the detailed recipe below. Do share your feedback in the comments below.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- Tuvar dal / yellow split pigeon peas: 1 cup
- Moong dal: split yellow lentils
- Onion: 1 small finely chopped
- Tomato: 1 small finely chopped
- Green chillies: 2 slit
- Curry leaves: few
- Ginger: 1 tbsp julienned
- Garlic: 2 tbsp finely sliced
- Coriander leaves: 2 tbsp finely chopped
- Turmeric powder: 1tsp
- Coriander powder: 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala: 1/2 tsp
- Chilli powder: 1/2 tsp
- Kasuri methi: 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chillies: 2
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Asoefitida / hing : 1/4 tsp
- Ghee/ clarified butter: 2tbsp
- Vegetable oil: 3tbsp
- Salt: to taste
- Wash the lentils , pressure cook the lentils with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and a tsp of salt with some water for 1 whistle. Let the pressure settle down on its own.
- Heat oil in a pan, add green chillies and curry leaves and toss.
- Add onions and 1 tbsp garlic and sauté till the onions turn brown. Next add in tomatoes and cook for 2 to 3 mins.
- Lower the heat and add coriander powder, turmeric powder and garam masala powder. Mix well and cook the spices for 2 mins on low heat.
- Add the cooked dal with 1/2 cup of hot water, you can add more water if required . Do not make it flowing consistency , it should be thick.
- Let it cook for 5 mins on medium flame. Check for salt.
- Add kasuri methi and mix well also add some coriander leaves, mix and turn off the heat.
- For the tempering, heat a pan, add ghee. Add cumin seeds, let it crackle, add ginger and garlic , toss till they start to turn golden brown. Quickly add in dry red chillies, hing, coriander leaves and toss. Turn off the heat add chilli powder and pour this on the dal curry and mix well.
- Keep it covered for 10 mins before serving.