Pulao is a one pot rice dish common in India. It involves cooking the rice with spices and the key ingredient in stock. The key ingredient can be any meat, vegetables or lentils. It is usually served with yoghurt based salads ( Raita) , papad or pickles.
I would say this recipe is a mini version of quick biryanis. Whenever I feel like having biryani I prefer making this dish. You can use any bone in cuts of Chicken for this recipe. I personally prefer mix of drumsticks and thigh cutlets.
Let’s checkout the detailed recipe below. Do share your feedback in the comments below if you try the recipe or you can tag me in Instagram @pcn_homechef.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Serves: 2 to 3
- Chicken : 400 g
- Basmati rice: 2 cups
- Onion: 1 large roughly chopped
- Tomato: 1 medium size roughly chopped
- Ginger: 1 small piece
- Garlic: 5 to 6 cloves
- Green chillies: 2
- Coriander leaves: 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri chilli powder: 1 tbsp
- Cumin Coriander powder: 1 tbsp
- Chicken Masala: 1 tbsp
- Salt: to taste
- Lemon juice: 1 tbsp
- Green cardamom: 2
- Cloves: 3
- Cinnamon stick: 1 small piece
- Star anise: 1
- Bay leaf: 2
- Hot water: 3 .5 cups
- Ghee / vegetable oil: 4 tbsp
- Blend together onions,tomatoes,ginger, garlic, green chillies and coriander leaves. Marinate the cleaned chicken pieces in this spice paste and some salt and keep aside for 15 mins.
- Heat oil or ghee in a stockpot or big bottom pan. Add the whole spices ( cinnamon,cardamom,cloves, star anise and bay leaves).Toss for few seconds.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces and mix with the whole spices. Add 1/4 cup hot water and cook on medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Soak rice for 15 mins. When the Chicken starts to become tender and in the rice. Mix gently after adding rice.
- Add 3 cups of hot water and cover and cook on medium flame for another 10 to 12 mins.
- Check in between to prevent rice from sticking at the bottom of the pan.When the rice is cooked through finally add some chopped coriander leaves and let it sit for 10 mins before serving.
- Enjoy with raita and pickle.