Vendakya Theeyal | Okra in dry roasted Coconut paste.. Theeyal is a popular recepie in Kerala usually prepared with shallots, which is also replaced with various veggies and prepared as side dish for Rice. .
Checkout the recepie below 👇
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- Okra / Ladies finger: 10
- Shallots: 4 to 5
- Coconut: 1 cup grated
- Tamarind: 1 lemon size
- Ginger: 1 small piece
- Garlic: 3 cloves
- Dry red chillies: 4
- Red chilli powder: 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tbsp
- Coriander powder: 1 1/2 tbsp
- Curry leaves: few sprigs
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds: a pinch
- Salt: as required
- Coconut oil: 4 tbsp
- Wash and pat dry the okras, chop into 1 ” pieces and keep aside.Soak tamarind in warm water and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, roast choppedshallots,ginger,garlic,curry leaves and dry red chillies. Toss till shallots turn soft. Transfer to a blender and keep aside.
- To the same pan add grated coconut and toss till the coconut turns golden brown,lower the flame and add the dry spice powders and little salt and toss for 2 mins.
- Blend this along with roasted shallots by adding sufficient water to make a fine paste.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a wok, add mustard seeds,let it splutter. Add Fenugreek seeds and some curry leaves and toss.
- Add the coconut paste with little water and cook till it starts to boil.
- Add the tamarind pulp with some more warm water to adjust the consistency to semi thick.
- Cook on medium flame for 10 mins.
- Finally for tempering,heat 1 tbsp oil,add finely chopped shallots and toss till it browns,add curry leaves and stir. Pour this tempering over the prepared Theeyal.
- Keep it covered for 15 mins atleast before serving.