Stew is a dish of meat or vegetables prepared by slow cooking method in a closed pot. These days with the advancement we have the slow cookers available but the traditional way of making stews was to simmer or slowly cook the dish on stove tops or on fire tops.
The best cut of beef for slow cooking is said to be the “ Beef brisket “ which is the section from the breast area of cow which is further cut down into sections.This cut of meat is very tough and hence slow cooking makes the meat very tender and juicy. Searing the meat before adding into the gravy helps retain the moisture inside the meat and gives a good end result.
Stews usually get thicker by reduction method or by adding flour or searing the meat in flour. You can even skip this initial step and add corn flour or arrowroot flour at the end after the reduction process. This recipe below can be prepared in slow cooker or stovetop or oven. I have done the initial simmering on stovetop for around 30 mins and put in oven for an hour. You can slow cook it for maximum of 6 to 8 hours in low heat.
I have put together this recipe after many trials and errors and success off course. I can’t say it belongs to a particular cuisine but I hope you would love this ,it has become our favourite now.I would pair this recipe with any toasted bread like sourdough or ciabatta or bread of your choice and goes best with white rice and mashed potatoes too.
Let’s check the detailed recipe below and do let me know in the comments if you like it or you can tag me in Instagram @pcn_homechef if you try it.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Beef brisket: 500g
- White onion: 1 sliced
- Carrot: 1 diced
- Potatoes: 3 medium size quartered
- Celery: 1 cup diced
- Garlic: 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Beef stock: 4 cups
- Pinot Noir ( or any red wine) : 1/2 cup
- Bay leaf: 2 nos.
- Dried Oregano: 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon powder: 1/2 tsp
- Spice Rub: 1 packet
- Black pepper: 1tsp freshly crushed or as required
- Salt: to taste
- Olive oil: 4 tbsp
- Corn flour: 1tbsp
- Place the beef brisket on a bowl or flat dish, season with freshly cracked salt and pepper and rub both the sides with the spice rub. You can even make your own spice rub by mixing together the herbs and spices like paprika, garlic powder, coriander powder,Cumin powder, dry mustard powder, brown sugar, dried oregano or dill.
- Heat a stock pot to almost smoking hot, reduce the heat to medium and add olive oil. Now place the brisket directly flat on the stockpot and sear for 2 mins, flip it and cook the other side for 2 mins. ( Do not overcook, we just want to sear them so that the moisture is locked in the meat ).
- Remove the meat from the stockpot and place it on a board .
- Now return to the stockpot quickly and add the wine and mix it with the juices leftover from the searing of the meat. Add onions, celery and garlic and quickly toss it.
- Next add in the carrots and sauté for around 2 mins. Ad cinnamon powder, dried oregano an black pepper powder and some salt to taste.
- Add the stock and cover and cook on medium for 7 to 8 mins. Meanwhile cut the seared meat into large size cubes around 1 to 1.5 inch thickness.
- Open the lid and add potatoes, cut beef cubes, bay leaf and some salt to taste.Cover and cook for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven for 10 mins at 160 degree C.
- Turn off the heat and place the stockpot in the oven and let it cook for an hour.
- Remove from the oven, return to the stove top and add corn flour slurry ( 1 tbsp of corn flour mixed in 1/4 cup of warm water). Let it simmer for 2 mins and turn off the heat . Keep it covered for sometime before serving. Stew tastes best when it rests.
You must log in to post a comment.