Sabudana or tapioca pearls is commonly used in Indian cuisine, specially in Northern and Central parts of India. It’s used to prepare both savoury and sweet recipes. It’s very common in every household during religious fasting or during festivals.
This Sabudana khichdi is a semi spicy , crunchy and soft recipe which can be served for breakfast , lunch or dinner. Adding of crushed peanuts makes it more special.
Let’s Checkout the detailed recipe below
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- Sabudana : 1.5 cups
- Potato: 1 diced
- Peanuts: 1 cup
- Ginger: 1 tsp finely chopped
- Green chillies: 2 finely chopped
- Asoefitida/ hing: a pinch
- Curry leaves: 1 sprig
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Salt: 1 tbsp
- Sugar: 1 tsp
- Vegetable oil: 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves: 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Wash sabudana 2 to 3 times , till you get rid of the starch. Add water just to cover it and soak overnight.
- Heat a pan, add a tsp of oil to it and add peanuts. Roast the peanuts till they turn dark brown. Transfer to a bowl and keep aside.
- In the same pan add 2 tbsp oil, add cumin seeds, let it splutter.
- Add potatoes, half of the peanuts, sauté for a minute and add ginger, green chillies, curry leaves and asoefitida. Toss them well.
- Cook , stirring in intervals till the potatoes turn golden yellow in colour.
- Now add the soaked sabudana ( Drain and keep in strainer before you start cooking), add salt and sugar and mix gently.
- Crush the remaining peanuts coarse lay and add it to the khichdi, mix well. Cook till sabudana turns translucent.
- Finally add coriander leaves and mix.