Khichdi that we buy from hotels are quite different in taste than the one we make at home. This recepie is exactly the hotel style khichdi with tadka.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- Rice: 1/4 cup ( I use kolam rice)
- Yellow moong dal: 1/4 cup
- Onion: 1 finely chopped
- Tomato: 1 small finely chopped
- Green chillies: 1 or 2 finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste: 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder: 1 to 2 tsp
- Asoefitida: 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder: 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Salt: for taste
- Vegetable oil: 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves: few
- Ghee: 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Dry red chillies: 2 broken
- Curry leaves: few
- Wash and soak rice and dal together for 5 to 10 mins.
- Pressure cook rice and dal with turmeric powder and salt for 4 to 5 whistles or till its cooked well.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a kadai. Add mustard seeds, let it splutter.
- Add asoefitida and stir.
- Add onions and green chillies and saute till onions become translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes.
- Now add tomatoes and cook till it turns mushy.
- Add red chilli powder and coriander powder and mix well.
- Now open the cooked rice and dal mixture in cooker and smash it lightly with a whisker or spoon laddle.
- Pour this to the masala. Mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup water and stir. Check for salt.
- Add the finely chopped coriander leaves and stir and switch off the flame.
- Now for seasoning, heat a small kadai, add ghee.
- Add cumin seeds, dry red chilli and curry leaves, let it splutter.
- Pour this to the khichdi and give a stir.
- Serve hot with pickle and papad.