Kerala style sambar is made in two different ways; with coconut and without coconut . This one is a simple recepie without coconut and a spicier version. Usually the veggies added in Sambar are carrots, raw banana, drumstick, potatoes, beans, brinjal, pumpkin,ladysfinger, beans . You may add all these or few according to your convinience. For Sambar powder you can use store bought or homemade too. I have used homemade sambar powder which was given to me by my Tamilian neighbour.
Checkout the recepie below.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Serves: 5 to 6
- Toor dal : 1 cup
- Shallots : 10
- Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
- Carrots: 2 cubed
- Potatoes: 1 chopped
- Tomatoes: 2 chopped
- Drumstick : 2 big chopped
- Pumpkin : chopped 1 cup
- Sambar powder: 3 tbsp
- Kashmiri chilli powder: 1 tsp
- Salt: for taste
- Tamarind: 1 lemon size
- Green chillies: 3 slit
- Asoefitida: 1 small piece
- Curry leaves: 3 strands
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Dry red chilli : 2
- Coriander leaves: few chopped
- Coconut oil : 3 tbsp
- In a pressure cooker add toor dal, shallots, turmeric powder , asoefitida and salt with 2 glasses of water and pressure cook for 5 whistles.
- Once the pressure comes down, open the lid, add chopped veggies, tamarind water ( soak tamarind in 1 cup water for 10 mins) ,2tbsp sambar powder, salt and curry leaves with 2 n 1/2 glasses of water.
- Close the lid and pressure cook for 3 whistles on medium flame.
- You can add more or less water according to the quantity of veggies you add.
- After 3 whistles , switch off the flame. Let the pressure come down. Open the lid , check for salt. Add chopped coriander leaves and mix.
- Now for tempering, heat a kadai, add coconut oil.
- Add mustard seeds, let it splutter.
- Add dry red chilli , curry leaves and toss.
- Now reduce the heat and add 1 tbsp sambar powder and 1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder , mix for few seconds and pour it into sambar.
- Mix well and keep it closed for atleast 15 mins.
You must log in to post a comment.