Tapioca which is commonly known as Kappa / Kolli in Kerala is like a staple food for all keralites. It is usually boiled and had with spicy chutneys or made into semi gravy form and had with any non vegetarian side dish.
In this recepie I have combined egg fry with boiled Tapioca and made it into Bhurji. Duck eggs will be more tastier if used. Here I have used chicken eggs.
Let’s checkout the recepie below :
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- Tapioca / Kappa : 3 medium sized
- Shallots/ kunjulli : 1 cup chopped
- Eggs: 4
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Dry red chillies: 3 broken
- Green chillies: 3 finely chopped
- Curry leaves: few
- Turmeric powder: 3/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder: 1/2 tsp
- Salt: for taste
- Coconut oil: 3 tbsp
- Remove the outer layer of Tapioca and clean it under running water.
- Roughly chop the Tapioca and boil it with little salt and turmeric powder.
- Boil till it becomes soft and cooked well.
- Switch off the flame and drain the residual water.
- Smash the Tapioca lightly and take out the fibres if any.
- Heat oil in a pan, add coconut oil.
- Add mustard seeds, let it crackle. Add dry red chillies and curry leaves and give it a toss.
- Add onions and green chillies and little salt and saute till onions become light brown.
- Beat eggs and drop this into the pan.
- Scramble the eggs with shallots.
- Finally add the smashed Tapioca and mix well.
- Serve hot with any non vegetarian gravy or as side dish.