Kerala recepies are commonly spicy and prepared in various styles. One such type is Varattiyathu or roast wherein the chicken is roasted with spices till the gravy thickens and chicken gets soaked in the gravy.
In this recepie gravy has a strong spicy flavour of black pepper powder and the addition of coconut chunks gives an extra flavour to the recepie.
Let’s checkout the recepie below 👇
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 30 mins
- Chicken: 1/2 kg
- Onions: 2 finely sliced
- Tomatoes: 1 roughly chopped
- Ginger garlic: 1 tbsp crushed
- Curry leaves: few sprigs
- Coriander leaves: 1 tbsp chopped
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri chilli powder: 2 tbsp
- Coriander powder: 2 tbsp
- Black pepper powder: 2 tbsp
- Chicken masala: 1 tbsp
- Coconut slices: 1/4 cup
- Salt: for taste
- Coconut oil: 4 tbsp
- Dry roasted kashmiri chilli powder,turme turn and coriander powder till the raw smell goes off.
- Marinate the chicken pieces with the dry roasted powder,onions,ginger garlic,curry leaves and some salt. Keep it covered for 1 hour.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a wok, add the marinated chicken to the pan .
- Add chopped tomatoes and cover and cook till the tomatoes turn soft.
- Add chicken masala,black pepper powder,coconut slices,salt and 1 cup water. Cover and cook till chicken gets cooked. Keep stirring intermittently.
- After chicken gets cooked, add chopped curry leaves, coriander leaves and some coconut oil and mix well.
- Cook on low flame till the gravy thickens and chicken gets soaked in gravy.
- Switch off the flame and keep it covered for some time before serving.