If you love Eggplants, you cant miss out this spicy and delicious northindian recipe.
Eggplants are brushed with oil, slit on all sides and roasted on stovetop and this step gives a special smoky flavour to the recipe. It is then mashed and mixed with onion masala along with spices and stir fried to get a semi thick side dish which tastes best with rotis / chapatis.
Lets checkout the recipe below
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
- Baingan/ Eggplant: 1 large
- Onion: 1 sliced
- Tomato: 1 chopped
- Garlic: 3 cloves
- Ginger: 1 tsp crushed
- Green chillies: 2 chopped
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri chilli powder: 1tbsp
- Coriander powder: 2 tsp
- Cumin powder: 1/2 tsp
- Asoefitida powder: 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder: 1 tsp
- Salt: for taste
- Coriander leaves: 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Ghee: 1 tbsp
- Oil: 2 tbsp
- Wash and dry the eggplant with a cloth. Brush the surface with oil. Make vertical slits in between. Fill the peeled cloves in the slits.
- Roast the eggplant on top of stovetop on high flame till the skin becomes dark and crisp.
- Let it cool down, peel off the skin and mash it with hands.
- Heat oil+ghee, add cumin seeds, let it crackle. Add ginger and toss
- Add onions and saute till it turns soft and translucent.
- Lower the heat and add turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder,chilli powder and asoefitida powder. Mix well till oil starts releasing from sides.
- Add tomatoes and cook till soft and mushy.
- Now add the mashed eggplant, chillies and garam masala powder. Cover and cook for 5 mins.
- Keep tossing for another 5 mins. Add as dash of lime juice and add coriander leaves and mix.