I have been getting lot of requests from my followers in facebook and Instagram since I had posted this picture, asking for the recipe.
This Potato beetroot masala is a very popular side dish specially among keralites. Indian Coffee House is an age old restaurant chain in Kerala and this gravy has been a hit at their restaurants. They serve this gravy along with hot and crispy Pooris and also with Masala Dosa as a filling inside the dosa.
I have recreated this recipe, when my hubby wished to have this combination. Here I am sharing this super delicious, quick and easy recipe, do share your feedback if you like the recipe and try it.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- Potato: 1 large or 2 medium size
- Beetroot: 1 small size
- Onion: 1/2 sliced
- Green chillies: 2 slit
- Ginger: 1 tsp chopped
- Curry leaves: few
- Coriander leaves: few chopped
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Urad dal/ white lentils:1 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Asoefitida: a pinch
- Salt: for taste
- Coconut oil: 2 tbsp
- Peel and roughly chop the potatoes and beetroot. Pressure cook them for 1 whistle, release the pressure and set aside.
- Heat a pan, add coconut oil, add mustard seeds,let it splutter.
- Add urad dal, toss till the color starts to change, add green chillies, ginger, curry leaves and asoefitida powder. Mix well for few seconds.
- Add sliced onions and saute till onions turn translucent. Add turmeric powder and toss for few seconds.
- Now add partially mashed potato and beetroot( there should be some chunks left behind) .
- Mix well and add 1/2 cup hot water, also add some salt to taste and cook for 5 mins.
- Finally add some coriander leaves and its ready to serve.