“KALAAN MASALA” is a popular street food from TamilNadu ( southern part of India). I was introduced to this food by my hubby and tried this at home and I must say its worth trying. Very delicious to have itself as a snack or you can even have it as a side dish with rotis or breads.
Kaalan Masala is mushrooms marinated with spices and fried to golden crisp fritters and a thick and spicy gravy is prepared in which the fried fritters are tossed n scrambled.
Checkout the detailed recipe below 👇
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- Mushroom: 2 cups chopped
- Cabbage: 1 cup finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste: 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/2tsp
- Kashmiri Chilli powder: 2tsp
- Garam masala powder: 1/2 tsp
- Plain flour: 1cup
- Corn flour:2tbsp +1tbsp
- Soy sauce: 1tbsp
- Tomato sauce: 2tbsp
- Red onions: 1 finely chopped
- Green chillies: 2 slit
- Curry leaves: few
- Coriander leaves: few finely chopped
- Salt: for taste
- Vegetable oil: for frying
- Marination: In a bowl mix together mushrooms,cabbage,1tsp ginger garlic paste,1tsp kashmiri chilli powder,1/4tsp turmeric powder,1/2tsp garam masala powder,1cup plain flour,2tbsp corn flour,1tsp salt.Mix well with hands, do not add water. Keep it covered for 10 mins.
- Heat oil for frying, when the oil is hot enough drop small dumplings of the marinated mushrooms into the oil.
- Deep fry till brown and crisp. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat a wok, add 2tbsp of oil from the oil used for frying. Add onions, green chillies and curry leaves. Saute till it turns soft and translucent.
- Add 1tsp ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes off.
- Add 1tsp of kashmiri chilli powder and 1/4tsp of turmeric powder and mix.
- Add soy sauce, tomato sauce and 1/2cup hot water. Mix well.
- Now add a cup of corn flour slurry ( 1tbsp cornflour+ 1cup hot water) . Let it boil. Cook till the gravy thickens. Add some salt to taste.
- Add the fried mushroom fritters and mix well with the sauce.
- Scramble for a minute and toss.
- Serve hot with some chopped onions and corinader leaves sprinkled on top.
You must log in to post a comment.