Upma, uppumavu or uppittu is a dish most common in South Indian, Maharashtrian, and Tamil breakfast; cooked as a thick porridge from dry roasted rava / semolina . Various seasonings and/or vegetables are often added during the cooking, depending on individual preferences. Today it is popular in most parts of India and is prepared in various ways.
I have made this recepie with few veggies , you may add veggies of your choice.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time : 15 mins
- Rava/ semolina: 2 cups
- Onion: 1 large finely chopped
- Capsicum: 1 finely chopped
- Carrots: 1/2 cup finely cubed
- French beans: 1/2 cup finely cubed
- Curry leaves: few
- Urad dal: 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Green chillies: 2 finely chopped
- Ginger: 1 tsp juliened
- Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
- Salt: for taste
- Ghee: 1 tbsp
- Vegetable oil: 1 tbsp
- Boil all veggies except onion for around 5 mins. Save the stock for later use.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Add 1 tbsp ghee in a wok and roast rava for 4 to 5 mins.
- Heat oil in a wok, add mustard seeds, ginger and curry leaves; let it splutter.
- Add urad dal and saute till it becomes slight brown in colour.
- Add onions and green chillies and saute till it becomes soft and translucent.
- Add salt and turmeric powder and toss well.
- Now add veggies and saute for 2 to 3 mins.
- Add rava to this and mix well.
- Now add the vegetable stock kept aside stirring simultaneously.
- If u want to add more water, add only hot water.
- Cover and cook for 3 to 5 mins.
- After 5 mins, mix well and switch off the flame.
- Tastes delicious when had with tomato sauce.