In central parts of India, the yam (khamalu, suran, or chupri alu) is prepared by being finely sliced, seasoned with spices, and deep fried. Also eaten in India, a purple-pigmented species, is known as ratalu or violet yam.
In the southern part, especially in Kerala, both purple and white colored yams are locally known as kaachil or kavuttu.
You need to be careful while cleaning and chopping yam, because it gives a slight itching sensation, which can be reduced by applying oil to your hands before cutting.
Here I have posted a shallow fry recepie here , a side dish which is had with rice or rotis.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time : 15 mins
- Suran/ yam : 200 gms
- Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
- Salt: for taste
- Garam masala : 1 tsp
- Rava: 1/2 cup
- Vegetable oil: for frying
- Wash and clean suran and cut it onto small wedges or medicum thick strips.
- Matinate it with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp garam masala and salt for 10 mins.
- Heat oil in a wok, roll it in rava and shallow fry the wedges.
- Drain and keep it in absorbent paper.