Jhunka is a dish prepared in Maharashtra, Goa and North Karnataka . It is also known by the name of pitla. Its prepared using gram flour (besan) mixed with water to form a stiff paste. It is then sauteed in oil with other ingredients and served with roti or bhakri.
Preperation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
- Gram flour/ besan: 1 cup
- Onion: 1 finely chopped
- Green chillies: 1 or 2 chopped
- Coriander leaves: few chopped
- Ginger : 1 small piece crushed
- Garlic: 4 to 5 cloves crushed
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
- Hing powder: a pinch
- Curry leaves: few
- Salt: for taste
- Vegetable oil: 1 tbsp
- In a bowl mix together besan, red chilli powder , turmeric powder and coriander leaves and water. Give it a mix.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaves, let it splutter.
- Add green chillies and crushed ginger garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add onions and saute till it turns golden brown.
- Now add the besan mix to this and toss well.
- Add little water if you think the mixture has become too thick bcoz it will become thick once it cools down.
- Cook for 2 to 3 mins and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with roti or bhakri.
You must log in to post a comment.