Varutharacha Chicken Curry is a kerala special recepie. In this recepie the preparation method is different. Fresh grated coconut is roasted with other spices and condiments and ground to a fine masala paste which is the main base of this recepie. Go through the recepie to know the entire preparation.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
- Chicken : 750 g or 3/4 kg
- Onion: 2 big finely sliced
- Tomato: 1 big chopped
- Ginger : 1 small piece
- Garlic: 10 cloves sliced
- Green chillies: 2 slit
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder: 2 tsp
- Chicken Masala: 2 tsp
- Salt: for taste
- Coriander leaves: 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Coconut oil : 3tbsp
For Grinding into paste :
- Dry red chillies : 4
- Cinnamon stick : 1 small piece
- Cardamom : 2
- Black peppercorns : 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds: 1 tbsp
- Fresh grated coconut: 1/2 coconut
- Curry leaves: 2 strands
- Pearl onion/ shallots: 10
- In a pan dry roast cinnamon stick , cardamom and dry red chillies and keep aside.
- In the same pan add fresh grated coconut and shallots and toss. To this add curry leaves and coriander seeds and toss till the coconut becomes dark brown in color.
- Now remove from flame and keep stiring for 2 minutes . Let it cool.
- Grind this into a fine paste by adding little water.
- Heat a kadai, add ginger, garlic and green chillies and toss for 10 seconds.
- Now add onions and little salt and saute till the onions turn light brown in color.
- Add finely sliced tomatoes and saute till it turns soft and mushy.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and chicken masala and mix well. Add 1/4 cup water and mix so that the masalas blend well.
- Now add the ground paste to this and mix.
- Add 1 n half cups of water and drop in the chicken pieces to this.
- Close and cook for 15 to 20 minutes till the chicken is soft and tender.
- After 20 mins, mix well, check for seasoning and add chopped coriander leaves.
- Switch off the flame and Keep it covered for another 10 minutes.