Lately I had posted Ivy Gourd Theeyal recepie.. Today I have prepared Theeyal using small onions/ shallots… In this recepie grated coconut is roasted with few other spices and ground to a fine paste and this is made into gravy.
Let’s checkout the recepie below:
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- Shallots/ pearl onions: 20
- Freshly grated coconut: 1 cup
- Black peppercorns: 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Coriander seeds: 1tbsp
- Dry red chilli: 4
- Curry leaves: few
- Tamarind: a small piece
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Salt: for taste
- Coconut oil: 4 tbsp
- Soak shallots in water for 10 to 15 mins so that they can be easily peeled off.
- Chop the bigger shallots and keep the smaller ones as it is.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add 3 deseeded and broken dry red chillies, black peppercorns, cumin seeds and coriander seeds.
- Dry roast for some time till the dry chillies change the colour.
- Add grated coconut and roast on low flame till it turns light brown.
- Switch off the flame and keep aside, let it cool down.
- Ground this by adding 1/2 cup water into fine paste.
- In the same pan, add 3 tbsp oil.
- Add shallots and saute till onions becomes soft.
- Add salt and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Soak tamarind in a cup of water and pour the pulp into the pan.
- Add the ground paste with 1 cup of water and cook for 10 mins. Keep stirring in between.
- Cook till the gravy thickens and switch off the flame.
- For tempering, heat a kadai, add 1 tbsp of oil, add mustard seeds and curry leaves. Let it splutter.
- Add dry red Chilli and finely chopped shallots and saute on medium to high flame till it turns brown.
- Add this to the Theeyal and mix.
- Keep it covered for 10 mins before serving .
You must log in to post a comment.