Rice Kheer / Ari Payasam is a very easy to make and quick sweet recepie. We usually make this for any occasion. This time I prepared it for my Hubby’s birthday.
In South India , we use small broken rice for this recepie ,whereas in North India Basmati rice is preferred. Here I have used Basmati rice but it can be substituted with any other rice.
I have used melted jaggery and raw sugar as sweeteners; condensed milk if added adds on more taste to the recepie.
Let’s checkout the detailed recepie below 👇
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- Basmati rice: 1/2 cup
- Milk: 3 cups
- Sugar: 4 tbsp
- Jaggery: 1/4 cup grated
- Cardamom powder: 1 tsp
- Dry ginger powder: 1/4 tsp
- Rosewater: 1 tsp
- Cashews: 1/4 cup halved
- Raisins: few
- Ghee: 1 tbsp
- Soak rice for 30 mins.
- Heat 1 cup of water ,to this add the grated jaggery. Let it melt and form semi sticky. Switch off the flame and keep it aside.
- Boil 3 cups of full fat milk with 2 cups of hot water.
- Add soaked rice to the milk and keep stirring continuously till rice gets cooked. It will take around 15 to 20 mins.
- Add sugar , Cardamom powder,dry ginger powder,rose water and mix well. Cook for 2 to 3 mins.
- Switch off the flame and add the melted jaggery and give it a mix.
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a wok, add cashews and raisins and toss till cashews turn golden brown. Pour this into the kheer / payasam and mix.
- Serve hot or chilled.
LIKE | SHARE | COMMENT if you like the recepie