Aloo Shimla Masala; Potato and capsicum gravy is a spicy NorthIndian side dish. When I think of cooking something easy and simple I end up making vegetarian recepies like this.
In this recepie , the gravy is prepared by sauteeing onions with spices and condiments and cooked till gravy thickens. To this gravy , capsicum and boiled potatoes are added and cooked till the veggies blend well with the masala and finally garnished with lots of coriander leaves.
You can serve this gravy with chapatis , Naan , bread or rice . I have used kashmiri chilli powder which gives a good rich colour to the gravy.
Lets checkout the detailed recepie below 👇
Preparation time : 10 mins
Cooking time : 20 mins
- Capsicum : 2 sliced
- Potatoes: 2 boiled and chopped
- Onions: 2 finely chopped
- Tomato: 1 finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste: 2 tsp
- Dry red chillies: 2
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Asoefitida powder: a pinch
- Kashmiri chilli powder: 2 tbsp
- Coriander powder: 2 tbsp
- Garam masala powder: 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves: 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Salt: as required
- Vegetable oil : 4 tbsp
- Heat oil in a wok, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let it crackle. Add dry red chillies and toss.
- Add finely chopped onions with some salt and saute till onions turn golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes off.
- Add turmeric powder and asoefitida powder and saute on low flame for few seconds.
- Now add the other spice powders and mix well on low flame for 2 to 3 mins till oil starts releasing from sides.
- Now add finely chopped tomaotes and some hot water. Cover and cook for 5 mins till tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Add sliced capsicums and chopped tomatoes and mix well with the gravy.
- Check the salt and add if required.
- You can add more hot water to adjust the consistency.
- Cover and cook for 10 mins.
- Finally garnish with chopped coriander leaves and mix.