Kappa or Cassava is a popular food among keralites. It is commonly boiled or boiled and mashed and tempered and served with fish curry or any meat dishes. Here I have prepared a pure vegetarian recipe with Kappa /Cassava.
Erissery is a Kerala style gravy in which coconut mix is the base. The Cassava is boiled and mashed and cooked in this coconut mix base and a tempering is poured at the end. This curry is a good to go with rice.
Let’s checkout the detailed recipe below.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- Kappa / Cassava: 2 cups chopped
- Grated coconut: 1 cup
- Shallots: 5 to 6
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder: 1/2 tsp
- Asoefitida powder: a pinch
- Cumin seeds:1tsp
- Green Chillies: 2
- Garlic: 2 to 3 cloves
- Curry leaves: few sprigs
- Dry red chillies: 2
- Mustard seeds:1tsp
- Coconut oil: 2tbsp
- Pressure cook Cassava with turmeric powder ,chilli powder and some salt for 1 whistle. Let the pressure settle on its own.Mash the cassava slightly, leaving some chunks behind.
- Meanwhile prepare the coconut mix by grinding together coconut ,cumin seeds, shallots ,green chillies ,garlic ,and some water into coarse paste.
- Add this coconut mix to the cooked Kappa/ Cassava ,cook on medium flame for 5 to 6 mins. Adjust the salt accordingly.
- If the gravy is too thick add some hot water to adjust the consistency, it should not be of flowing consistency though.
- Switch of the flame and for tempering heat a small pan, add coconut oil. Add mustard seeds, let it splutter, add sliced shallots and sauté till it starts to brown, add dry red chillies, asoefitida powder and curry leaves, mix and pour this on the gravy. Mix well and cover and keep aside for 10 mins before serving.
You must log in to post a comment.